Gas hydrates in the data of thermodynamic research: Azerbaijan sector of the Southern Caspian
Geological structure and seafl oor bathymetry in the deepwater part of the Southern Caspian are indicative of the possibility of generati on of considerable gas hydrate amounts. Analysis of the materials related to gas hydrates of the Southern Caspian showed that all the acti viti es aimed at determinati on of the zone of their possible accumulati on are mainly based on the studies of Elm, Bozdag gas hydrate accumulati ons, and Apsheron area, and also on the thermodynamic factors of the region. As a part of the investi gati ons, temperature and pressure distributi on in the study area was examined in order to determine the depth of the formati ons occurrence at 24 °С, and also to analyse the range of pressure variati ons in near‑surface. The temperature of gas hydrates formati on is not the same for diff erent components. As a result of the analysis, it was found that maximum depth of thermodynamic equilibrium at the ti me of gas hydrates formati on from methane could reach 480 metres. On the basis of thermodynamic data and analysis of methodological bases of interpretati on, the maximum depths of gas hydrates formati on were determined. Finally, the amount of gas in gas hydrates was esti mated within the identi fi ed zone of thermodynamic stability. Total amount of gas is 1.15 · 10 m
Key words: gas hydrates; assessment; gas; Southern Caspian; thermodynamic equilibrium.
For citation: Poletaev A.V. Laptev Gas hydrates in the data of thermodynamic research: Azerbaijan sector of the Southern Caspian. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2020;(1):113–117. DOI: 10.31087/0016‑7894‑2020‑1‑113‑117. In Russ.
1. Guseynov R.A., Dadashev F.G. Uglevodorodnye gazy kaspiyskogo morya [Hydrocarbon gases of the Caspian Sea]. Baku: Nafta-Press; 2000. 128 p. In Russ.
2. Ginsburg G.D., Gramberg I.S., Guliev I.S., Guseynov R.A., Dadashev A.A., Ivanov V.L., Krotov A.G., Muradov Ch.S., Solovev V.A., Telepnev E.V. Podvodnogryazevulkanicheskiy tip skopleniy gazovykh gidratov [Subsea mud volcanoes type of the gas hydrate fields]. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR. 1988;300(2):416–418. In Russ.
3. Muradov Ch.S. The Area of formation of the South Caspian gas hydrates. South-Caspian basin: geology, geophysics, oil and gas content. Baku: Nafta-Press; 2004. pp. 322–332.
4. Diaconescu C.C., Kieckhefer R.M., Knapp J.H. Geophysical evidence for gas hydrates in the deep water of the South Caspian Basin, Azerbaijan. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 2001;18(2):209–221. DOI: 10.1016/s0264-8172(00)00061-1.
5. Panakhov R.A., Adullaev E.A., Novruzova S.G. Gazovye gidraty [Gas hydrates]. Baku: Elm; 2012. – 298 p. In Azeri.
6. Byk S.Sh., Fomina V.I. Gazovye gidraty [Gas hydrates]. Uspekhi khimii = Russian Chemical Reviews. 1968;37(6):1097–1135. In Russ. DOI: 10.1070/RC1968v037n06ABEH001654
7. Dmitrievskiy A.N., Balanyuk I.E. Gazogidraty morey i okeanov — istochnik uglevodorodov budushchego [Gas hydrates of the sea and ocean — hydrocarbon future source]. Moscow: Gazprom; 2009. 415 p. In Russ.
8. Makogon Yu.F. Gazogidraty. Istoriya izucheniya i perspektivy osvoeniya [Gas hydrates. History of study and perspectives of development]. Geologiya i poleznye iskopaemye Mirovogo okeana. 2010;20(2):1–17. In Russ.
9. Poletayev A.V., Poletayeva Y.V. Gas hydrate formation condition in the south part of the Caspian Sea. Uchenye zapiski Tambovskogo otdeleniya ROSMY. 2016;(5):247–254. In Russ.
10. Carroll J. Natural Gas Hydrates. 2nd Edition: A Guide for Engineers. Burlington: Elsevier; 2008. 248 p.
11. Sain K., Gupta H.K. Gas hydrates in India: Potential and development. Gondwana Research. 2012;22(2):112–131. DOI: 10.1016/j.gr.2012.01.007.
12. Frye M., Shedd W., Boswell R. Gas hydrate resource potential in Terrebonne Basin, Northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 2011;34(1):1–19. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2011.08.001.
13. Milkov A.V., Sassen R. Economic geology of offshore gas hydrates accumulations and provinces. Marine and Petroleum geology. 2002;19(1): 1–11. DOI: 10.1016/S0264-8172(01)00047-2.
14. Bangs N., Hornbach M., Berndt C. The mechanics of intermittent methane venting at South Hydrate Ridge inferred from 4D seismic surveying. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2011;310(1–2):105–112. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2011.06.022.
15. Ali-Zadeh A.A., Aliyev S.A. (eds.) Geothermal Atlas of Azerbaijan. Baku: Nafta-Pressa; 2001. 151 p.
16. Sloan E.D., Koh C.A. Clathrate Hydrates Of Natural Gases. 3rd Edition. CRC Press; 2008. 752 p. DOI: 10.1201/9781420008494.
17. Poletayev A.V., Poletayeva Y.V. Gas hydrates within Azerbaijan sector of Southern Caspian: thermodynamics, seismoacoustics and gas shows. Bulletin of the Tomsk Polytechnic University. Geo Аssets Engineering. 2018;329(12):164–178. DOI: 10.18799/24131830/2018/12/32. In Russ.
A.V. Poletayev Scopus
Oil and gas Institute of National academy of sciences of Azerbaijan, Baku, Azerbaijan;