Current ideas of Eastern Ustyurt tectonic inhomogeneity in the context of petroleum potential of Palaeozoic deposits
The authors discuss the current ideas of Eastern Ustyurt tectonic inhomogeneity in the context of petroleum potential of Palaeozoic deposits. Structural surface of the crystalline basement within the Ustyurt region has a complicated, often mosaic pattern. The highest structural position of the basement is typical of the Baiterek-Terengkuduksky and Kassarminsky swells, as well as the Monchoklinsky uplift and south-western part of the Kuanysh-Koskalinsky swell. Taking into account the features of the current structure of the Permian-Triassic (Р2–Т1) sequences, the Eastern Ustyurt territory can be divided into three major tectonic members, they are: North Ustyurt syneclise, Central Ustyurt zone of uplifts, and South Ustyurt syneclise. The latter neighbours the Tuakyr-Kaplankyrsky zone of uplifts. What is more, the eastern and north-eastern shoulders make the flexure zone that bounds it along all the length from the western slope of the Arka-Kungrad uplift to the southern slope of the Aktumsuksky uplift. Comparative analysis of paleotectonic evolution of the Eastern Ustyurt and its current structural and tectonic model brought the authors to the following conclusions. History of the platform cover formation consists of two stages: Mesozoic-Paleogene and Neogene-Quaternary, which are separated by the stage of elevation, denudation, and hiatus. Carrying out the analysis of Mesozoic-Cenozoic sedimentary cover formation history, one should take into account the influence of Palaeozoic basement structure, overall progress of Mesozoic-Paleogene movements and, finally, the particular role of neotectonic deformations. Consequently, a definite relationship is determined between the Palaeozoic basement and architecture of the Mesozoic-Cenozoic sedimentary cover. Special importance is attributed to faults. Presence of high-amplitude faults with steep flanks of folds, which originated from neotectonic processes is typical of the elongated swells. Some researchers underestimate the significance of neotectonic processes and their influence on the ultimate formation of regional architecture of sedimentary cover and local structures within it. It becomes apparent that presence of deep troughs below anticline traps developed in Mesozoic-Cenozoic time is a positive factor for formation of hydrocarbon accumulations.
Key words: tectonic framework; Ustyurt; analysis of structural surface; Palaeozoic deposits; sedimentary cover; crystalline basement; oil and gas potential.
For citation: Maslov V.V. The modern idea of the tectonic heterogeneity of the East Ustyurt in connection with the petroleum potential of Paleozoic deposits. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2020;(4):7–14. DOI: 10.31087/0016-7894-2020-4-7-14. In Russ.
1. Tal-Virsky B.B. Geofizicheskie polya i tektonika Srednei Azii [Geophysical fields and tectonics of Central Asia]. Moscow: Nedra; 1982. 287p.
2. Gavrilov V.P. Development of geodynamic model of evolution of North Ustyurt and adjacent regions of Turanian plate inspired by oil and gas content availability of Paleozoic complex. Geologiya, geofizika i razrabotka neftyanykh i gazovykh mestorozhdenii. 2011;(10):4–12 p. In Russ.
3. Kleshev K.A., Shein V.S. Geologicheskoe stroenie i geodinamicheskaya evolyutsiya Prikaspiiskoi vpadiny [Geologic structure and geodynamic evolution of the Caspian basin]. In: Geologiya, resursy, perspektivy osvoeniya neftegazonosnykh nedr Prikaspiiskoi vpadiny i Kaspiiskogo regiona
(Prikaspii-2007) (Moskva, 18–20 September, 2007) : materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi konferentsii. Moscow: Maks Press; 2008. 388 p. In Russ.
4. Maslov V.V., Goryunova L.F., Obryadchikov O.S. Geodynamic evolution of the South-Eastern part of the East European platform, in connection with the assessment of oil and gas potential. Trudy Rossiiskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta nefti i gaza im. I.M. Gubkina. 2017;287(2):56–65. In Russ.
5. Babadzhanov T.L. Mordvintsev O.P. O perspektivakh neftegazonosnosti doyurskikh obrazovanii [On the prospects of oil and gas potential of the pre-Jurassic formations]. Uzbekskii zhurnal nefti i gaza. 2002;(1):12–28. In Russ.
6. Gavrilov V.P., Gulyaev N.B., Gibshman N.B., Karnaukhov S.M. et al. Geologiya i perspektivy neftegazonosnosti verkhnepaleozoiskikh otlozhenii Ustyurtskogo regiona. [Geology and prospects of oil and gas content of upper Paleozoic deposits of the Ustyurt region. Monograph]. Moscow: Nedra; 2014. 247 p. In Russ.
7. Abdullaev G.S., Bogdanov A.N., Eidelnant N.K. Current state and prospects of development of oil and gas exploration in the Ustyurt region of the Republic of Uzbekistan. Neftegazovaya geologiya. Teoriya i praktika. 2019;14(1). Available at: http://www.ngtp.ru/rub/1/44_2014.pdf (accessed 28.01.2020). DOI: 10.17353/2070-5379/10_2019. In Russ.
8. Maslov V.V., Goryunova L.F., Gibshman N.B. Estimation of oil and gas potential of upper Paleozoic deposits of Northern Ustyurt on the basis of biostratigraphic analysis. Territorija “NEFTEGAS” = Oil and Gas Territory. 2016;(11):57–63. In Russ.
9. Maslov V.V., Miloserdova L.V. Tectonic nonuniformity and oil-and-gas content of the Turan plate based on satellite images interpretation. Trudy Rossiiskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta nefti i gaza im. I.M. Gubkina. 2016;284(3):68–83. In Russ.
10. Maslov V.V., Gavrilov P.V. Prospective of oil-and-gas content of the Verkhnepaleozoysky complex of East Ustyurt (Republic Of Uzbekistan). Trudy Rossiiskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta nefti i gaza im. I.M. Gubkina. 2015;281(4):15–28. In Russ.
11. Xinyuan H., Tsinghua V. Basic petroleum characteristics of the Tarim basin. In: Trudy rossiisko-kitaiskogo seminara. Beijing: oil and gas industry Publishing house; 2003. p. 106–123. In Russ.
V.V. Maslov iD
Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences,
National University of Oil and Gas “Gubkin University”, Moscow, Russia