А.А. Kurkin, V.I. Kuznetsov
Tectonic structure of the Yamal-Gydan region: update on the result of integrated interpretation of geological and geophysical data
Integrated interpretation of potential fields and seismic data allowed detailing a tectonic scheme of the pre‑Jurassic basal complex and sedimentary cover within the Yamal‑Gydan region. Structure of the supposed Permian and Triassic above‑rift troughs is updated. There are no indications of the considerable tectonic tension typical of rifting. This suggests the deeper occurrence of the Earth’s crust tension zones. Pulling apart was insignificant, while downwarping caused by the lithosphere cooling and weighing following the rifting had very large amplitudes. All this provided accumulati on of superthick Permian and Triassic deposits (mostly of post‑rift origin). Downwarping conti nued throughout the Mesozoic and was concentrated along the rift zones. As a result, large uplifts of the sedimentary cover were formed. Deep‑seated lineaments mapped in the basal complex are the tectonic blocks boundaries, reverse faults, thrusts, and other inhomogeneities of the basement. In the course of the Mesozoic cover development, all the structure‑forming motions occurred along these lineaments. According to many researches, these deep‑seated lineaments control the position of linear
waste mantle and productive zones at the top of the pre‑Jurassic basal complex. The presented structural scheme of pre‑Jurassic basal complex may serve as a basis for heat flow calibration when creating a model of petroleum system.
Key words: tectonics; pre-Jurassic basal complex; basement; sedimentary cover; rifts; rifting; faults; uplifts; Western Siberia; South Taimyr orogenic belt; well Gydansky-118.
For citation: Kurkin A.A., Kuznetsov V.I. Tectonic structure of the Yamal-Gydan region: update on the result of integrated interpretation of geological and geophysical data. Geologiya nefti i gaza = Oil and gas geology. 2018;(3):87–101. DOI: 10.31087/0016‑7894‑2018‑3‑87‑101.
1. Gurari F.G., Devyatov V.P., Demin V.I. et al. Geological structure and hydrocarbon potential of Lower-Middle Jurassic in the West Siberian Province. In: V.S. Surkov ed. Novosibirsk: Nauka; 2005. 156 p.
2. Vyssotski A.V., Vyssotski V.N., Nezhdanov A.A. Evolution of the West Siberian Basin. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 2006;23(1):93–126.
3. Bochkarev V.S. Building geological models of Palaeozoic oil&gas play and working out a policy for preparation and development of its resource potential in the Western Siberia north. Tyumen: OAO “SibNATS”; 2004.
4. Artyushkov E.V. Mechanism of formation of superdeep sedimentary basins: lithospheric stretching or eclogitization? Russian geology and geophysics. 2010;51(12):1304–1313. DOI: 10.1016/j.rgg.2010.11.002.
5. Kushnir D.G. Pre-Yenisei area of Taimyr and Gydan peninsulas — deep seated geological structure and petroleum potential prospects. Neftegazovaya geologiya. Teoriya i praktika. 2016;11(1):1–29. DOI: 10.17353/2070-5379/6_2016.
6. Kurkin A.A. Reasons for exploration failures of anticlinal prospects in Yamal and Gydan regions of West-Siberia. Ekspozitsiya Neft Gaz. 2017;58(5):27–32.
7. Bochkarev V.S. Geological structure and petroleum potential of Palaeozoic and Triassic sequences in the Pur region. Tr. Pervoi Purovskoi geologicheskoi konferentsii “Geologiya i neftegazonosnost' Nadym-Pur-Tazovskogo mezhdurech'ya”. Tyumen, Tarko-Sale: Purneftegazgeologiya; 1995. P. 179−206.
8. Nezhdanov A.A., Ogibenin V.V., Davydov A.V. Retrospective analysis of efficiency of E&P activities for oil and gas in Western Siberia. Gazovaya promyshlennost' = Gas Industry. 2014;(S716):113–118.
9. Kurkin A.A., Grigoreva I.I. Some Results of Tectonic Evolution Study of Northern West Siberia Fields. EAGE Saint Petersburg International Conference and Exhibition on Geosciences 2014: Investing in the Future. Saint-Petersburg, 2014. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.20140222.
10. Lunev B.V., Lapkovskii V.V. Development of convective instability of continental “thermal lithosphere” as a mechanism of large sedimentary basins formation. Chetvertaya tektonofizicheskaya konferentsiya v IFZ RAN “Tektonofizika i aktual'nye voprosy nauk o Zemle” (October, 3–7 2016, Moscow): mat-ly dokladov konferentsii. Moscow: Izdatelstvovo IFZ RAN; 2016. P. 522–528.
11. Dobretsov N.L., Polyansky O.P. On formation mechanisms of deep sedimentary basins: is there enough evidence for eclogitization? Russian geology and geophysics. 2010;51(12):1314–1321. DOI: 10.1016/j.rgg.2010.11.006.
12. Astafiev D.A., Skorobogatov V.A., Radchikova A.M. Graben-rift system and oil and gas accumulation zones distribution on the north of West Siberia. Geologiya nefti I gaza. 2008;(4):2–8.
13. Gogonenkov G.N., Timurziev A.I. Strike-slip faults in the West Siberian basin: implications for petroleum exploration and development. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2010;(51):304–316.
14. Nassonova N.V., Romanchev M.A. Geodynamic control of oil and gas potential by fault dislocations on the east of West Siberia. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2011;(4):8–14.
15. Fomin A.N. Catagenesis of organic matter and oil and gas potential of Mesozoic and Palaeozoic formations of West Siberian mega-basin. In: A.E. Kontorovich ed. Novosibirsk: Izdatelstvo INGG SO RAN, 2011. 331 p.
16. Plesovskikh I.A., Nesterov I.I. (Jr.), Nechiporuk L.A., Bochkarev V.S. Structural features of the northern West Siberian geosyneclise and new exploration targets. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2009;50(9):789–796.
17. Sobornov K.O. Structure of fold belts and prospects of discovery of large deposits in folded Pre-Urals. Neftegazovaya geologiya. Teoriya i praktika. 2015;10(1). DOI: 10.17353/2070-5379/6_2015.
А.А. Kurkin Scopus
NOVATEK, Tyumen, Russia;
V.I. Kuznetsov Scopus
NOVATEK, Tyumen, Russia;