E.B. Grunis, I.V. Kolokolova, V.B. Rostovshchikov, G.V. Ul'yanov.
Substantiation of petroleum potential of the Domanik-Tournaisian carbonates: specifics of applying the risk assessment methodology
(Timan-Pechora Petroleum Basin)
Researches, case studies, and any other geological investigations should be ultimately aimed at meeting the public demand in any required type of mineral resources. In petroleum geology, this means accelerated and cost-effective discovery of oil and gas fields that are profitable for development. Risk assessment is the important component of geological and economic evaluation of project implementation. This work allows creating algorithm of making decisions on exploration activities optimisation in any stage, and define key priorities, first and foremost exploration targets (plays). In assessment of risks of any given project, determination of geological success chance is the key constituent. The world's leading oil companies and research teams have their own methods for determining the probability of geological success (Pg). They are based on the comprehensive assessment of possible prospects of the region in the context of certain considerations related to different elements of petroleum systems (oil and gas source rocks, reservoir, fluid barrier, trap, time of structures formation, hydrocarbon generation and migration). The difference between the methodologies is the variable number of significant multipliers (factors) of evaluation validity and level of detail. The authors consider an example of the risk assessment methodology application for substantiation of petroleum potential of the Domanik-Tournaisian play, including Domanikites within the pre-Urals Foredeep (Timan-Pechora Petroleum Province) and prioritizing of exploration activities.
Funding: The paper is written as a part of carrying out the State Assignment on “Prediction of the state of the Russian oil and gas sector resource base on the basis of the system researches of natural reservoirs hydrocarbon potential in carbonate, terrigenous, and shale formations” for the year 2019. 131 Line of Fundamental Research. Section IX. Earth Sciences. State Registration Number: АААА-А19-119030690047-6. RF Government Executive Order dated October 31, 2015, No. 2217-р.
Key words: Timan-Pechora; North-Urals Petroleum Region; probability; geological success; risks; exploration activities; Domanik-Tournaisian play.
For citation: Grunis E.B., Kolokolova I.V., Rostovshchikov V.B., Ul'yanov G.V. Substantiation of petroleum potential of the Domanik-Tournaisian carbonates: specifics of applying the risk assessment methodology (Timan-Pechora Petroleum Basin). Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2020;(1):21–33. DOI: 10.31087/0016-7894-2020-1-21-33. In Russ.
1. Khitrov A.M., Nikitin A.N., Popova M.N., Kolokolova I.V. Risk assessment of oil and gas search based on selecting and mapping the hydrocarbon accumulation caps according to geophysical techniques data. Vestnik TsKR Rosnedra. 2011;(3):22–27. In Russ.
2. Teplov E.L., Kostygova P.K., Larionova Z.V. et al. Prirodnye rezervuary neftegazonosnykh kompleksov Timano-Pechorskoi provintsii [Natural reservoirs of hydrocarbon plays in the Timan-Pechora Province]. St. Petersburg: OOO “Renome”; 2011. 286 p. In Russ.
3. Rostovshchikov V.B., Kolokolova I.V. Perspektivy neftegazonosnosti tsentral'noi chasti gryady Chernysheva [Petroleum potential of the central part of the Chernyshev Ridge]. In: Novye idei v geologii nefti i gaza. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov (po materialam Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoprakticheskoi konferentsii). 2015. pp. 76–80. In Russ.
4. Priymak P.I., Nikonov N.I., Kuranova T.I. Petroleum potential of Middle – Upper Devonian reef section in the junction zone of Kosyu-Rogow Depression and the Western Ural fold-thrust zone. Neftegazovaya geologiya. Teoriya i praktika. 2013;3(8). Available at: (accessed 18.09.19). In Russ.
5. Danilov V.N., Antonovskaya D.V. Exploration and development history of the Sredne-Pechorskoye transverse uplift of the Timano-Pechorskaya province. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. 2009;7(3):86–92. In Russ.
6. Danilov V.N. Outlooks for supplementation of raw materials reserves at the Vuktyl oil-gas-condensate field. Vesti gazovoy nauki. 2016;(1(25)):75–82. In Russ.
E.B. Grunis Scopus
All-Russian Research Geological Oil Institute, Moscow, Russia;
I.V. Kolokolova iD
Oil and Gas Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia;
V.B. Rostovshchikov iD
Ukhta state technical university, Ukhta, Russia;
RN-SHELF-ARKTIKA, Moscow, Russia;