Refinement of the subsalt formation model: eastern flank of the Caspian basin
The paper considers structural and tectonic characteristics of regional tectonic elements within the Palaeozoic subsalt series. The authors carried out zoning within the eastern shoulder of the Caspian Basin (Zhanazol‑Tortko’lsky, Temirsky, Shubarkuduk‑Koskol’sky zone of uplifts, Borzher‑Akzharsky Flat, etc.). The concept of regional features of Palaeozoic formations architecture and spatial distribution of carbonate KT‑II and KT‑I sequences is presented. The authors’ version of interpretati on of carbonate sequences occurrence is proposed, which is based on the new data. It is shown that in the course of carbonate sequences tracking and prediction, their regional erosive pinching‑out and lithological thinning is observed westward from the basin shoulder, which is indicative of their origin and evolution associated with a platform. These conditions together with limitation of the formations westward strike are established in the E‑W‑trending belt of Zhanazol, Kozhasai, Urikhtau structures. Similar situation is expected in the belt of Akkuduk, Baktygaryn, Akkum, Akkemir structures within the western edge of the promising Temirsky zone of uplifts. Positi on of the promising traps within KT‑II and KT‑I formations is updated; the possibility to scale out prospecting on the result of the carbonate КТ‑III formation (Upper Devonian – Lower Carboniferous) prediction is emphasized. The obtained conclusions and recommendations are aimed at improvement of prospecting activities efficiency and further works taking into account the correction of methodology used for studies and prediction of promising traps in the Carboniferous formations within the Caspian Basin eastern shoulder, and clarification of great prospects of the Zhanazol‑Tortko’lsky and Temirsky zones of uplifts.
Key words: Caspian basin; deposits; eastern flank; Palaeozoic series; carbonate sequence; zone of uplift; petroleum potential; explorati on works; local objects; hydrocarbons.
For citation: Azhgaliyev D.K. Refinement of the subsalt formation model: eastern flank of the Caspian basin. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2019;(6):31–40. DOI: 10.31087/0016‑7894‑2019‑6‑31‑40.
1. Volozh Yu.A., Parasyna V.S. Astrakhan carbonate massif: Structure, oil and gas. Moscow: Nauchniy mir; 2008. 221 p.
2. Zholtaev G.Zh. Structure of pre-Kungurian formations in the Caspian Syneclise [Stroenie dokungurskikh otlozhenii Prikaspiiskoi sineklizy]. Sovetskaya geologiya. 1989;(5):74–82.
3. Dalyan I.B., Golovko A.Yu., Klokov Yu.V. Buried Palaeozoic reefs in Eastern Caspian [O pogrebennykh paleozoiskikh rifakh na vostoke Prikaspiya]. In: Nauchno-tekhnologicheskoe razvitie neftegazovogo kompleksa (po materialam Mezhdunarodnykh nauchnykh Nadirovskikh chtenii). Atyrau; 2003. pp. 35–45.
4. Akchulakov U.A., Abilkhasimov K.B., Azhgaliev D.K., Taskinbaev K.M. et al. Integrated studies of sedimentary basins in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Caspian Basin: Research Report of Kazakh Institute of Oil and Gas and AkAi Consulting [Kompleksnoe izuchenie osadochnykh basseinov Respubliki Kazakhstan. Prikaspiiskii bassein : otchet AO “Kazakhskii institut nefti i gaza”; TOO “Ak-Ai Konsalting”]. Astana, 2012. Books I; II; III. 254 p.; 271 p.; 262 p.
5. Akchulakov U.A. New resources base of hydrocarbons of the Republic of Kazakhstan and ways of its possible realization [Novaya resursnaya baza uglevodorodov Respubliki Kazakhstan i puti vozmozhnoi ikh realizatsii]. In: Neftegazonosnye basseiny Kazakhstana i perspektivy ikh osvoeniya. Almaty: KONG; 2015. pp. 21–29.
6. Abilkhasimov Kh.B. Peculiarities of formation of natural tanks of Paleozoic deposits of the Caspian wax and evaluation of prospects of their oil and gas. Moscow: Akademiya Yestestvoznaniya; 2016. 244 p.
7. Nuraliev B.B. Fault tectonics as a basis for determining petroleum exploration strategy [Osnova opredeleniya strategii neftepoiskovykh rabot – razlomnaya tektonika]. Neft' i gaz. 2008;(1): 42–54.
8. Obryadchikov O.S., Goryunova L.F. Prediction of hydrocarbon fields occurrence in Caspian Basin: features of carbonate massifs geological structure [Osobennosti geologicheskogo stroeniya karbonatnykh massivov pri prognoze mestorozhdenii uglevodorodov Prikaspiiskoi vpadiny]. Proceedings of Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas. 2016;285(4):32–42.
9. Azhgaliev D.K. Perculiarities of Formation of Carbonated Strata in the Upper Paleozoic Era in the East of the Pre-Caspian Basin in View of the Prospects за Oil-and-Gas-Bearing Capacity. Territorija Neftegas. 2017;(7–8):22–36.
10. Azhgaliev D.K. Devonian deposits – prospective direction of searching for oil and gas in the subsalt complex of the Сaspian basin. Georesursy = Georesources. 2017;19(2):111–116.
11. Azhgaliev D.K. New conceptions about the regularities of hydrocarbon deposit distribution in the carbonate formations of the near-Caspian basin. Karotazhnik. 2018;289(7):38–49.
Non‑Profit JSC «Atyrau University of Oil and Gas named after Safi Utebayev», Atyrau, Kazakhstan;