B.S. Aslanov, A.I. Khuduzade, F.B. Aslanzade
New data on deep-seated folding of Mesozoic series (by the example of Yevlakh-Agdzhabedinsky Trough, Azerbaijan)
Geological and geophysical studies carried out in the second half of the last century on the north-eastern side of the Yevlakh-Agdzhabedinsky Trough revealed the oil and gas potential of the deep-seated Upper Cretaceous Mesozoic horizons and shallower Paleogene and Miocene series. Oil and gas bearing pay intervals are identified within Muradkhanli, Zardab, Shykhbagi, and Jafarli structures, which are the parts of the Zardab-Muradkhanli-Jafarli Tectonic Belt. Oil and gas occurrence is lithologically associated mainly with Upper Cretaceous fractured effusive and carbonate rocks, and also with Middle Eocene sedimentary-igneous rocks, and partially with Maykop-Chokrak terrigenous reservoirs belonging to structural traps. A number of researchers concluded that in favorable geological conditions on the northeastern side of the trough, the Mesozoic formations may also contain commercial oil and gas accumulations. Based on this, the bulk of exploratory drilling and geophysical investigations in recent years has been focused in the Yevlakh-Agdzhabedinsky Depression, where, in addition to the Paleogene-Miocene, the Mesozoic formations are widely developed. These studies resulted in updating the deep structural and tectonic architecture and petroleum potential of both southwestern and northeastern trough slopes. It was found that in accordance with hydrocarbon saturation, the northwestern and southeastern slopes differ from each other both in structural, tectonic terms, and in oil and gas potential, which is possibly related to different the Cenozoic and Mesozoic folding cycles.
Key words: tectonics; volcano and effusive rocks; Mesozoic; Cainozoic; chalk; Maykop; Chokrak; stratigraphy; lithology.
For citation: Aslanov B.S., Khuduzade A.I., Aslanzade F.B. New data on deep-seated folding of Mesozoic series (by the example of Yevlakh-Agdzhabedinsky Trough, Azerbaijan). Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2020;(3):19–28. DOI: 10.31087/0016-7894-2020-3-19-28. In Russ.
1. Salmanov A.M., Yusifov Kh.M. To petroleum prospects of a northeast board Yevlakh-Agdzhabedy depression. SOCAR Proceedings. 2013;(3):6–13. DOI: 10.5510/OGP20130200149. In Russ.
2. Yusifov Kh.M., Rzaev M.A., Suleimanov A.M., Zeinalov R.L. K voprosu neftegeologicheskogo raionirovaniya territorii Azerbaidzhana po mezozoiskomu neftegazonosnomu kompleksu [More on the petroleum zoning of Azerbaijan territory in the Mesozoic play]. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 1993;(4):3–12. In Az.
3. Yusifov Kh.M., Rakhmanov R.R. Strategy for research of oil of Mesozoic period in Azerbaijan. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 2011; (6–7):10–18. In Az.
4. Yusifov Kh.M., Salmanov A.M. The main criteries of oilgasbearing of Mesozoi deposits in Azerbaijan. SOCAR Proceedings. 2012;(2):6–14. DOI: 10.5510/OGP20120200108. In Russ.
5. Guseinov A.N. Nekotorye itogi bureniya na mezozoiskie otlozheniya v Azerbaidzhanskoi SSR [Selected results of drilling in Mesozoic sequences, Azerbaijan SSR]. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 1972;(11):7–12. In Az.
6. Guseinov A.N., Shirinov F.A. Neftegeologicheskoe raionirovanie territorii Azerbaidzhana [Petroleum zoning of the Azerbaijan territory]. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 1977;(8):5–10. In Az.
7. Guseinov A.N. Poiski nefti v mezozoiskikh otlozheniyakh Azerbaidzhana [Oil exploration in Mesozoic series of Azerbaijan]. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 1978;(2):8–15. In Az
8. Kerimov I.A., Mamedov S.B., Efendiev D.I., Rakhmanov R.A. Strukturno-tektonicheskie usloviya formirovaniya zon neftegazonakopleniya v glubokozalegayushchikh mezozoiskikh otlozheniyakh Evlakh-Agdzhabedinskogo progiba Azerbaidzhana [Structural and tectonic settings of oil and gas accumulation zone formation in deep-seated Mesozoic series of the Yevlakh-Agdzhabedinsky Trough, Azerbaijan]. Azerbaidzhanskoe neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 1989;(4):12–17. In Az.
9. Salmanov A.M., Suleimanov A.M., Magerramov B.I. Paleogeologiya neftegazonosnykh raionov Azerbaidzhana [Paleogeology of oil and gas bearing regions of Azerbaijan]. Baku: Mars-Print; 2015. 472 p. In Az.
10. Suleimanov A.M. Paleogeologo-geograficheskie usloviya formirovaniya neantiklinal'nykh lovushek v Azerbaidzhane Paleogeological and geographical settings of non-anticlinal traps formation in Azerbaijan]. Geolog Azerbaidzhana. 2003;(8):8–62. In Az.
11. Yusifzade Kh.B. Neftegazogelogicheskoe raionirovanie i ratsional'nyi kompleks poiskovo-razvedochnykh rabot v Azerbaidzhane [Petroleum zoning and reasonable package of exploration activities in Azerbaijan]. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 1987;(3):6–16. In Russ.
12. Yusifzade Kh.B. Karta mestorozhdenii nefti i gaza i perspektivnykh struktur Azerbaidzhanskoi SSR kak nauchnaya osnova poiskov neftyanykh mestorozhdenii [Map of oil and gas fields and promising structures in Azerbaijan SSR — scientific basis for oil and gas exploration]. In: Materialy yubileinoi sessii, posvyashchennoi 50-letiyu Instituta Geologii AN Azerbaidzhanskoi SSR. Baku: Elm; 1989. pp.18–23. In Az.
Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences,
"OilGasScientificResearchProject" Institute, Baku, Azerbaijan
ORCID ID: 000-0001-5530-0682
Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences,
Azneft Production Union, Baku, Azerbaijan
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2334-6886
PhD in Economics,
Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University, Baku, Azerbaijan
ORCID ID: 000-0002-5425-8336